Osian Ellis is regarded as one of Wales’ finest harpists, and has been largely responsible for securing the perception of the harp as the national instrument of Wales. Born in Ffynongroyw, Flintshire in 1928, he ritired to Pwllheli because of his family’s links with Aberdaron on the Llyn Peninsula. He was the harp tutor at London’s Royal Academy of Music between 1959 and 1989, and was for many years the lead harpist for the London Symphony Orchestra. Britten composed his ‘Harp Suite in C’, Opus 83 for Osian Ellis, and he has featured on numerous recordings. His album for SAIN includes his own compositions, and examples of Cerdd Dant, singing verses to harp accompaniment.
His work for two Harps called ‘Diversions for two Harps’ is also featured on his SAIN CD.
Osian Ellis has played with many orchestras across the world, and has tutored many leading harpists such as Elinor Bennett.
- GAVOTTE (AR FFURF RONDO)
- CYWYDD TOMOS PRYS (CAINC Y DATGEINIAD)
- THRENODI I DELYN (CANIADAU LLANELWY)
- LARGHETTO-CONSIERTO I'R DELYN (CONSIERTO I'R DELYN - OPUS 4, RHIF 6)
- DACW MAM YN DWAD (CANEUON PLANT)
- PAN OEDDWN GYNT YN FACHGEN (CANEUON ATGOF (BALED YR HENWR))
- GREDDF GWR (CATRAETH)
- ALLEGRO NON TROPPO (IMPROVISATIONS OP. 10)
- CANU PENILLION (CLYMAU CYTGERDD I DDWY DELYN)
- ALLEGRO-CONSIERTO I'R DELYN (CONSIERTO I'R DELYN - OPUS 4, RHIF 6)