Ogam performs instrumental music and traditional Welsh songs, combining familiar airs with contemporary arrangements, as well as introducing their own compositions.
Ogam was founded in 1995 when a group of musicians joined together to form a new band for a Folk Group competition at the Cnapan folk Festival. They won, and also went on to succeed at the Pan Celtic Festival in Ireland.
Since then they have toured Brittany and have performed at other Welsh festivals like the Sesiwn Fawr and the Cerdd Dant Festival.
At the National Eisteddfod in Llanelli 2000, the Medal for the best Composer went to one of Ogam’s founders, John Marc Davies who is a violinist, composer and arranger. He has since left Wales to take up the post of Head of Music at an International School in Geneva.
One of the original members is Emyr Rhys, who is also a producer. Emyr (bass and mandolin) met John Marc when they were members of the National Youth Orchestra of Wales. Sianelen Pleming who plays the flute was also in the same orchestra. Carys Roberts is the harpist, and for six months she played the harp in the Phantom of the Opera orchestra. Colin Tommis, guitar, has toured Europe as a member of the Campbells group.
- PIGAU'R DUR/DIFYRRWCH YR HEUSOR DU
- DOWN THE BROOM/TOMMY McMAHON'S
- CLWMP PUMP (YR WYLAN/AP SIENCYN/LLANCESAU TREFALDWYN/PIBDDAWNS DOWLAIS/LLAWENYDD AP TOMOS)
- HEN FERCHETAN
- JIG PULTAGUE
- CAN DIOGI (FFOLES LLANTRISANT/EL QUINTO PINO}
- ADAR MAN Y MYNYDD
- CYLCH Y CYMRY (MON/RACHEL DAFYDD IFAN)
- COLEG Y BRIFYSGOL ABERTAWE/Y GWNINGEN GYMREIG
- THE CURLY HEADED PLOUGHBOY/THE TIPSY PARSON